Monday, April 23, 2012

Running Schedule

Since my back has been feeling better and I've started running again, several people have asked when my next race will be.  I don't have any plans set in stone right now.  I am not doing any organized runs during the spring running season.  I am kind of enjoying just running at my leisure right now instead of sticking to a training schedule.  I don't have any regular road races in my sights at this point, but would like to do a couple of things that are off the radar.  Here are a few of the things on the back burner I might do this year....

I may do a triathlon again this summer.  I completed my first triathlon last year - the YMCA Spirit, Mind, Body Triathlon.  I completed the olympic distance event, but this year I might try to find a sprint distance tri.  I just don't want to dedicate as much time to training(mainly the swimming).  I mentioned I was looking at "off the radar" events, so I might do the YMCA XTERRA, which is an off-road triathlon with mountain biking and trail running.

I'd also like to do another mud run this year, since we had so much fun last year at the Warrior Dash.  Maren and I are looking into doing a race this summer called the Rugged Maniac.  Its in Paoli, IN on August 25th, so anyone interested in joining us should check out the link and contact me!  Its basically a 5k run on Paoli Peaks with 18 obstacles sprawled throughout the course.  It looks a little more intense than the Warrior Dash, but should make for a fun day! 

I am probably the most excited about the next event on my list, the Honest Abe Trail Run.  This is a trail run on Sept 23rd at Lincoln State Park.  There is a marathon and a 14k.  Why am I so excited about it?  1) It's a trail run, so I can get out and enjoy the wooded scenery and challenge of trail running.  2) Its a small event...registration is capped at 100 participants.  3) Its located on the state park grounds, so we can incorporate a family camping trip with it.  4) Its an environmentally friendly event - no plastic water bottles, paperless registration, no stupid pamphlets or fliers in your race packet, race bibs are reused from other races, etc.  To get all the details, check out the link above.  5) Its not even set in stone yet...at the time of this posting their website says the tentative date is 9/23/12.  They won't know for sure until the permits for the event are secured.  This event was made for me...its way off the radar!  If anyone is interested doing either distance or just wants to join us for a weekend camping trip, just let me know! 

The only other thing I on my wish list for the year is to do some type of fun run for my birthday.  I'm turning 30 this year, and I have a couple of things in mind to commemorate the event.  My birthday is on a Saturday, and I've found another trail run that falls on that day.  The other thing I have in mind is to make my own course and enjoy a run or ride or dualthlon with a couple friends on the morning of my b-day.

Beyond that, I'll probably find a couple of local 5k's to do.  The Komen Race for the Cure and the Turkey Day 5k are two events I've done in the past.  I don't want to do anything else that would require any organized training regimen.  Like I've said in recent posts, I'm just enjoying going out and running for the sake of running right now.  I'd love to hear anyone else's plans if you have any runs, races, or other challenging events you're wanting to do this year.  Please leave a comment and let me know!  

No comments:

Post a Comment